Ahhh summertime. Once of my favorite things about this time of year is having so much free time to bake and try new things.. and the abundance of fresh fruit! I had been craving a fresh and fruity dessert, which is quite unusual for the chocoholic that I am, so I decided to try out a new recipe! I had never made a crumble before, but this is by far one of the most photogenic and delicious desserts ever, and is extremely easy, versitile and healthy, so I’d deem this recipe a success!
The original recipe for this blueberry crumble was by Amy’s Healthy Baking, but I decided to put a little twist on it and make it my own! All of the ingredients for this recipe and clean, and with almost no added sugar, it is healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast!
To make this recipe fully vegan, instead of topping with regular vanilla ice cream, I have come to love SoDelicious’s Cocowhip (aka coconut milk cool whip) and vanilla ‘ice creams’ made with coconut, cashew or almond milk. Sounds a little funky but trust me on this one. It is delicious.
Delicious Vegan Blueberry Crumble
A light, healthy treat, perfect for summertime
- ¾ cup old-fashioned oats
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup, room temperature
- 1 ½ tbsp vegan butter (such as Earth Balance), melted
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 5 cups fresh blueberries
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 lemon
- dairy free vanilla ‘ice cream’ or Cocowhip
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease 8×8 pan with oil or vegan butter.
- To make the crumble, mix together oats, flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Then stir in maple syrup, melted ‘butter,’ and vanilla.
- For the filling, toss blueberries with cornstarch and a squeeze of lemon juice. Feel free to add a pinch of lemon zest to the mixture as well.
- Pour blueberry filling into prepared pan and sprinkle the crumble topping over evenly.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes or until the juice is bubbling on the sides of the pan.
- Refrigerate for at least 3 hours to allow the filling to set.
- Serve with a scoop of ‘ice cream’ or Cocowhip and enjoy!